A 34-year-old woman from Whitechapel in East London was recovering in hospital last night after being admitted on Saturday night suffering from shock brought on by accidentally watching the opening few minutes of a programme about art on ITV.
According to reports, Tracy Dell, a married mother of 2, has always been an avid ITV viewer and a huge fan of the channel’s traditional Saturday night game and talent show output, and it is believed that sudden exposure to a highbrow topic may have caused confusion and distress which led to her subsequent collapse.
Her husband, Toby, 38, told Dafty News: “Tracy loves her Saturday night ITV viewing. She packs the kids off to bed at 6.00 and settles down with a 6-pack of Skol Super and a family carton of Doritos to watch hours of game shows and talent contests.
“Then right out of the blue, this art programme came on. There was no warning or anything. Before I could grab the remote, Tracy had already exposed to well over 2 minutes of pre-Raphaelite paintings and a short introduction to the work of the impressionist, Marc Chagall.
“It was too much for her and she went down like a sack of spuds. We’re now thinking of suing somebody. Probably the council or the shop that sold us the telly. It’s bang out of order subjecting innocent people to this sort of thing”.
A hospital spokesperson said last night: “Mrs Dell is comfortable and stable. At present, she’s suffering from post-traumatic shock and as part of her treatment has been sent to the TV room with some beer and snacks to watch a box set of the first series of Geordie Shore”
In 2011, a woman from neighbouring Bow entered a permanent vegetative state after a remote control blunder from her husband exposed her to the opening 5 minutes of a BBC documentary looking at the influence African art had on the work of the early Cubists instead of Britain’s Got Talent.